DMS 423: Programming Graphics
Create a VR scene with a 3d model of a real-world object.
Step 1: construct a 3D model of an object from photos.
- Use the software 3DF Zephyr. You can download it from https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-pro-3d-models-from-photos/, or use it on the PCs in room 242 (already installed).
- Choose an interesting object; take 30-50 photos of it from many angles. Use 3DF Zephyr to generate a 3D model, with textures, in a format that Unity can load (such as OBJ).
- Alternative options: if you prefer, you can use Skanect (https://skanect.occipital.com/, installed on PCs in 242), or VisualSFM (http://ccwu.me/vsfm/), or other software (anything that creates 3D models from photos).
Step 2: learn to use a VR headset
- Either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift can be checked out from the equipment room
- If you have your own, different model of HMD (such as Playstation VR or Hololens), make sure you can use it with Unity
Step 3: put the 3d model into a Unity scene and view it with the HMD
Bring your program to class on Nov 27, and be ready to demonstrate it.
Also share a zip file of your project with me (email@example.com) via Google Drive.